Thursday, January 20, 2011

Coming Home

As part of the Vision Council process of shaping the future of All Saints, parishioners are offering stories of why All Saints means so much for them. We're posting them on the web site and here on this blog. If you have a story you'd like to share, send it to Paul Greatbatch.

Our first story comes from Bethel Bose, who serves All Saints in a variety of ways, including our Medicine Cabinet and outreach committee.

In a committee meeting the other evening it was suggested that we share some personal stories relating to the church and our Faith. The question was put to us "what do you think social concern means?" I hope that you will share some of your own experiences.

I started attending All Saints in 1954 when I graduated from nursing school. I was married here, and all 4 of my children were baptized here.

In 1982 I left All Saints and Indianapolis. I moved to Mississippi to continue my education. After I graduated, and for the next 20 years, I lived and worked in Mississippi, Arkansas, Pennsylvania and finally Northern Indiana. In each of the places that I lived, I tried to find a Church home that I felt comfortable in. I tried many Episcopal churches in 4 different states as I moved around the country. I found most of the churches that I attended to be rather cold and unfriendly. I was in one community for 12 years. I don't think the priest ever even knew my name. It was lonely and eventually I quit going to church altogether.

After I retired I moved home to Indianapolis. I had been here for several months when one Sunday morning I awoke feeling that I needed to go to church, and I decided to visit All Saints

When I walked in, I could feel something that had been missing in my life for a very long time. There was a sense of something special going on here. It came from the greeters, the Priests, and from the people who introduced themselves to me after the service. Actually, it felt to me like it was in the air and in the building itself. Many people greeted me that morning and introduced themselves. It was pretty overwhelming. I experienced a feeling of great Peace.

Finally, I had come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment